Reflection and Discussion Questions
In your work, what gender and health issues do you see? Can you name some of the structural factors influencing women’s and men’s health, i.e., factors that are out of an individual’s control? Do you think gender norms, i.e., ideas about masculinity and femininity, affect the way that these issues are perceived or addressed?
Consider applying the Framework for Gender Transformative Health Promotion to the following issues:
- Condom use in teens in your community
- Sex and gender differences in alcohol use, i.e., while men continue to drink at higher levels, rates of alcohol consumption among women are increasing worldwide
- Gender-based violence (i.e., worldwide, an estimated one in five women will be a victim of rape or attempted rape in her lifetime. One in three will have been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused, usually by a family member or an acquaintance.)
- Access to primary health cares services by men and women
- How are gender inequity and health outcomes linked in each of these areas?